Sunday, May 31, 2009

Worked shifts

John did his maintenance thing. I got hit with a severe allergy attack and felt pretty miserable during my shifts. I'd sneeze, throw the Kleenex in to a bag, wipe my hands with Purell, and repeat. Yuck . . .

Saturday was our 28th wedding anniversary. As we were working, we celebrated by going out to dinner Friday night. Just as I pulled up on Saturday after a run to Pamida to pick up more Kleenex, a van was delivering flowers. I was very surprised as we had agreed to no gifts.

Sunday morning, John and Ray helped Horace hook up his and Lavinia's car as they were headed back to Texas. With some shifting of staff, Horace and Lavinia's position was filled by Marian and Marian's position was filled by a pair of long-term campers. All of us certainly hope that they make it safely back to Texas where Horace can get the medical attention he needs.

I was so worn out after my Sunday morning shift (lack of sleep for two previous nights), I laid down to rest as got lulled to sleep by the sounds of John mowing and weed eating. I woke up just before it started to downpour. I saw John run for one of the tipees. John then came down to the trailer to wait out the rain. As the rain started to lighten up and he wanted to get done with what he was doing, he headed back out. Shortly thereafter, it started to pour rain and hail. What was he doing??? He's not getting out of the rain. I threw on my raincoat and trudged up to where he was and said "For goodness sake, call it quits. Are you nuts?" Reluctantly, he quit as he still had 25 minutes to work. John was drenched and my pants and feet were soaked. I told him I didn't think Paul would exactly mind his calling it short under the weather conditions. It continued to pour until after 5:40 p.m.

Good thing it decided to stop raining when it did as we had a workkampers potluck planned for 6 p.m. Everyone gathered for good food and conversation. It started to get pretty chilly around 8 p.m. so John and I called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment