Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day

Oh, what a beautiful day. Two days in a row; now, that's what I am talking about! The allergies are doing better so I told John that since it was his day, it was up to him to decide what he wanted to do for the day. After breakfast, we headed out to take the Iron Mountain Road drive because John wanted to feed the wild burros. We had purchased a large bag of carrots just for that purpose. We decided to head towards Mt. Rushmore and pick up the road near the town of Keystone. As we approached Mt. Rushmore, we were lucky enough to see a Mountain Goat with her baby right near the road. Pictures are below. So cute.


The drive on Iron Mountain Road is so lovely. You drive through three tunnels and go over three pigtail bridges (they corkscrew like a pig's tail) that are all made of wood. From California, this is unusual because our bridges are all made out of iron, steel, or concrete. Usually you can see a lot of deer. Once we got in to the northern part of Custer State Park, there were the burros. They have it all figured out. Stop traffic in the middle of the road and they will feed us. John no more got his window down when he had a burro's head stuck in the window. John had a big smile on face! Soon I also had a big smile on my face because I, too, had visiting burros. It was surprising at how gentle they took the carrots. Once the food is gone though, so are they. We didn't get any up close pictures because we had the wrong lens on the camera and well, we were too busy feeding them to take pictures. Priorities, you know. We did one shot of the burro’s with a couple of babies.


Melissa had tried calling us on our cell phones several times but her calls kept going to voicemail. After we got home, I saw that we had an email from her. The phone coverage around here is spotty once you get out of town. For some reason, my phone was not getting coverage but John's was (go figure). We called Melissa and had a terrific chat with her. The bridal shower she was hosting for her friend, Kelly, was a success. Melissa's cat, Hayden, seems to very happy not having Blackie around. Good news all the way around.

I finally broke down and worked on setting up the Garmin I bought John for Christmas for geocaching and so that he could always find his way home when he rode his bike. Well, computer things intimidate him and it has been six months! So, I broke down and set the darn thing up. I must say I feel intimidated myself. Boy, have we got a lot of reading to do to figure this thing out.

We had a nice bbq'd steak dinner with corn on the cob at home. Pretty good, I must say. We then went up to the office where we engaged in conversations with some horse people and the campground owners/host, Larry and Geri.

I woke up around 1 p.m. to the sound of thunder and the night sky being lit up though the action was many miles away. I got up and stowed the MotoSat. It pretty much kept up the remainder of the night with some heavy rain come the morning. So much for the beautiful weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment