Saturday, June 7, 2008

Crazy Horse and frustration

We participated in the Volksmarch up to Crazy Horse's head on Saturday. It is a 6.2 mile walk and it is the only time in the year that people are allowed up on the monument.


This is a picture as we approach Crazy Horse and the people are up on what will be his outstretched arm (they look like little hairs, don't they?). If you would like to learn more, here is the link: http://www.crazyhorse.org/events/volksmarch.shtml.

We rode with Art and Connie who are avid hikers. As Art and Connie were waiting to meet up with another couple, John and I decided to head out so that, hopefully, we would all finish about the same time. The Volksmarch was rated a 3 out of 4 so I wasn't sure what laid ahead. I happy to say that we made to the top in 1 hour and 15 minutes. Just as we reached the top, off to side on the rocks were three mountain goats. That was a nice sight to see.


The detail of the face was amazing. Everyone was commenting on the detail of the nose. It was fascinating to see it up close. This project is on a much grander scale than Mt. Rushmore. There is so much work left to do and we doubt it will be completed in our lifetime.

We finished the our hike in 2 hours 15 minutes and waited a half hour for Art and Connie. We saw all sizes, shapes, and ages. The image that I will carry with me was an older couple probably in their 80's, sort of hunched over, holding hands as they made the trek up to Crazy Horse. It was so touching.

After we got home, showered and had lunch, I then got on to the part of the afternoon that brought me frustration. I have been having problems with the MotoSat, it won't lock on to the satellite unless I turn the power off and then back on. I thought I had this problem fixed after working on a few items with the gentleman who installed the system. Today the system would not lock on at all. I ended up calling tech support and we spent hours trying various things. Ultimately, it was decided that we needed three items: Satellite TV Quality Coax Cable, Crossover Ethernet Cable, and a new router (just in case). Well, this means a trip to Rapid City because these items aren't available nearby. Well, tomorrow is another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment