Tuesday, June 3, 2008

60th Anniversary, two blasts, and lots of laughs

We attended the 60th Anniversary celebration at Crazy Horse and was able to view two blasts that took approximately 2.6 millions pounds of rock off the face of the monument. They had special speakers and native dancing. Billy Mills, a Lakota tribe member and who won an Olympic medal in track at the 1964 Olympics spoke. We learned that Billy and his wife reside in Sacramento (Fair Oaks actually).



The first blast was behind Crazy Horse's head and would remove 10 tons of rock.









The second larger blast was in front of the horse's eye and removed 1,300 tons. We calculated it to be approximately 2.6 million pounds of rock. The amount sounds staggering but you can hardly tell anything was done.

John and I had lunch at the Laughing Waters restaurant on the grounds. John had Buffalo Stew with Indian Flatbread (he enjoyed his meal) while I had a Patty Melt which I also enjoyed.

So we headed home. I asked John to return some movies to Bev and after about an hour, I had to go track him down! Soon I also was in their fifth wheel laughing and sharing. We knew that they were planning on leaving in the morning now that their truck was fixed (supposedly) and needed to get packed up. I tried getting John and I out of their way but they wouldn't hear of it. We shared so many laughs and travel tips that before we knew it, it was 10 p.m. OK, now we had to leave. It has been a pleasure sharing time with Don and Bev and we wish them safe travels back to Maine.

No comments:

Post a Comment