Saturday, February 28, 2009

New bird , shades fixed, beautiful sunset

I have to start today's entry with a shot I took last night of the Moon and Venus. I think the photo is beautiful and dramatic. A short time later, we checked the sky and the Moon was no where to be found. Wonder where it went?
When I was heading back to the rig after showering, I heard this beautiful song and looked up and saw a gorgeous bird sitting in the tree tops. After a few minutes of listening and watching, I decided I better get back to the rig and grab the camera. This bird was too beautiful not to get a picture. I went down the road and just listened until I heard the beautiful song and I found my bird. After taking a few pictures, I headed home. A couple of volunteers commented on my taking pictures and asked to see the pictures. The bird is a male Vermilion Flycatcher. Oh, joy!!!! I was thrilled to learn of its identity because next to a Northern Cardinal, I really wanted to see this bird. I guess I have a thing for red birds.
When I got back to the rig, I showed John the pictures and then we set out to see if we could find him again. Once again, his song drew me to him. John had to agree that this was a banner find and how spectacular his color is in person.

After breakfast, we decided to tackle the re-stringing of our day/night shade that broke a while back. We were tired of not being able to look out that window. Actually, working together, the process was painless and took less than an hour. Now, we can look out all of our windows again. Ah, the simple pleasures.

The afternoon was quite warm at 87 degrees so we just enjoyed sitting outside the rig watching the birds and the antics of the hummingbirds. The warm day brought out John's desire for ice cream so we headed off to Dairy Queen to share a Blizzard. The place was very busy so I guess it wasn't a very original thought.

John has been in pursuit of getting a picture of the Kestrel that hangs around here but once again, couldn't get close enough for a good picture. There is always tomorrow.

I thought I would share two pictures with you of the beautiful coloring of the evening sky that happens most evenings at sunset.

Hope your day was glorious like ours was.

No comments:

Post a Comment