Saturday, May 14, 2011

Driving Tour

This morning we decided to take a drive up Highway 145 along the Dolores River which is running rather full.  Once leaving the Cortez area, the road opened up to beautiful valleys.  As we drove through the town of Dolores, something caught my eye and I asked John to turn around and go back.  This little oddity is what caught my eye:
It looked like a morphed trailer, bus, and train.  Very odd.  It was parked in front of this little railroad museum.  If the museum had been open, we would have gone in to inquire about their "train".
This is shot of the Dolores River.  The property to the left was gorgeous and all ready for a RV site or two.  I did a little research and you can have this gorgeous 1.71 acres for only $305,000.  Dream on!
After spending six months in the desert, we were soaking up the beautiful views; green grass, pine trees, river and snow-capped mountains.  Wow, this is true Colorado splendor.

The multitude of aspen trees in this area don't yet have their green foliage.  The mountains are going to be even more beautiful once all the trees are green.  Makes me wonder what the fall foliage looks like.
We turned around 21 miles shy of the ski town of Telluride. Other than the scenic beauty of the drive, neither one of the us were too interested in visiting the area. So we headed back to Cortez but took a different route home.  

After dinner, we took a walk around the Cortez City Park and Centennial Park.  It has been overcast today and while out walking, I mentioned how hot it felt in the sun even though the temperature is in the low 70's.  John reminded me that we have been use to the humidity being single digit or the low teens and that the humidity is much higher here if you look at all the grass, water, and ranches that are around.  I joked and said I thought it was because we were closer to the sun.  I checked and the humidity is 24 percent.

Another lovely day.