Saturday, September 5, 2009

Goofing off in the Black Hills

We did a first and went fishing from the kayaks on Wednesday. I've got to say that was a lot of fun. We went with Travis and Cindy (fellow workkampers). We headed for Deerfield Lake but it was way to windy to put the kayaks on the water so we headed back and went to Sylvan Lake. - the wind hadn't been blowing at home when we left. Everyone caught fish except for me (poor me). Travis' catch of the day was a 20 inch rainbow trout; that was one big fish. What I did get was one heck of a sunburn on my knees. My white legs haven't seen the sun in ages and then I subjected them to several hours of sunlight. I had forgotten how miserable sunburns feel. Won't be repeating that experience again any time soon!

On Thursday was our trip up to Rapid City to get some shopping done. It always turns in to an all day affair.

Friday, John and I headed out to Center Lake to try out our new fishing rod holders for the kayaks. They work great. We had a great time on the water (another pretty lake) catching fish. John caught and released 13 while I caught and released 8. I told John that he beat me in quantity but I had him in quality as I caught a 16 inch and 18 inch trout. Most of the trout where in the 10 to 14 inch range. We finally called it a day when we heard thunder rumbling, wind picked up, and the sky darkened. Nothing really came from the threatening skies at the campground.

Upon our return to the campground, we went to the office to share with Cindy and Faye our fishing success. Faye and Marshall had never fished at Center Lake so with the incentive of our leftover worms, they are headed there tomorrow. We hope they have as good a time as we did.

The campground will be 50 percent full what with the Labor Day weekend; the last hurrah for the season. So hard to believe that it is September already. Time sure flies when you are having fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment