Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Cheyenne, WY

Rick and Y were out and about doing some mega shopping so we went on line to see what was in Cheyenne to see. About then my sister called. She had seen a story on the Buffalo Round-Up on the news and wanted to know if we had attended or where we were. When I told her we were in Cheyenne, she got excited and asked that I look to see if there was still the Hitching Post Motel in town. Back in the late 50's, my dad worked on missile projects and we spent about four months in this motel before moving on - my mom, two sisters, myself, and a cat. The motel had raised rocking horses that I loved being put on. I already knew that the Hitching Post was still around because there was an ad on the map handed out by the Terry Bison Ranch. I told her I would go check it out and here is a picture of their sign. No resemblance to the pictures I remember seeing of the motel. Sadly, the motel appeared to be recently closed down.
Custer has their Custer Stampede Auction to coincide with the Buffalo Round-up where they auction off painted/decorated large fiberglass molded Bison, table top size Bison, and other related artwork. Apparently, Cheyenne does something similar but with 8 foot boots. that are painted by local artists depicting Wyoming and Cheyenne's history. There are eight of them located throughout the town. We saw two but was only able to get a picture of one. Kind of cool I thought.
When headed out to go to Sierra Trading Post's outlet store, we drove past this large array of satellites. It sparked our curiosity because there was no identification as to what or to whom they belonged. After going online, I learned they are "the heart of EchoStar's Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS) ... array of highly technical, state-of-the-art satellite communications." This was just some of them as their were a bunch more near a large building complex.
After cruising the town a while, we lost interest and headed for home. After dinner, we went over to Rick and Y's and played cards until we called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment