Sunday, July 20, 2008

Kootenai Refuge, Falls & Suspension Bridge

We got an early start to the day and headed off to the Kootenai Wildlife Refuge to see if we had a better viewing of animals earlier in the day. We saw a bald eagle and two young eagles apparently just out of the nest. We were shown the eagle nest by a local who was checking up on the young eaglets. Seeing a bald eagle soar is just spectacular and they look like no other bird with their white head and tail. We also saw deer, a red tail hawk, a beaver, great blue heron, and lots of Canadian Geese.

We decided to take the drive back past Troy, Montana to see the Kootenai Falls and Suspension Bridge. We were a little disappointed by the falls because it was more like heavy rapids than what we think of as "falls". Still, they were beautiful and the white water added the drama.
It was a very warm 90 degrees and the spray from the rapids was a welcomed treat.
To get to the trail to the rapids and suspension bridge, you had a hike from the parking lot and had to cross over railroad tracks via this bridge. Now, I'm not crazy about stairs as most of you know but I really didn't like these because the steps were made of steel mat that you could see through to the ground. That really mixes up my senses but I made the trip up and over both ways.
After the hike to the falls, we took the hike down to the suspension bridge. Now, I knew I wouldn't be crossing anything that swings high in the air so I stayed on the ground while John took the trip across the river. John said it was a good thing I didn't try it because when he got in the middle it really swayed back and forth and up and down. Also, he said the boards were spaced with gaps between them so you could see the river below. Yikes! I knew that wasn't the place for me but John can say he did it and I have it documented.
We filled up the truck with diesel in Troy and paid $4.63 that is one of the cheapest prices we've seen for a while.
It was a very warm day and we were really glad to get back to our home and relax for the rest of the evening.

Tomorrow, we are on the move again. We are both ready to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment