Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Kayaking Round Lake State Park, ID

I thought I would start off today's blog with the picture John took last night of the moon. I really like this picture because it is centered between the trees and the sky is so blue.

Here is John paddling back to a little cove on Round Lake. Trees came down to the water's edge all along the lake. It is a very pretty little lake.
John and I had just gotten on the lake and discovered a Blue Heron that shortly took off up into the trees. I was so focused on the Blue Heron that John said to look at the bird of prey which was sitting at the top of the tree. I was lucky enough to get a picture of them both. After closer review of the pictures I had taken, we determined that the bird of prey is an Osprey. If anyone thinks differently, please let us know. This birding thing is new to us.
While I was taken with the birds, John discovered four young raccoons playing with each other under the shade along the water's edge. I was able to get this one photo of one of their rear ends.
As we paddled around the lake, we came across this Blue Heron that let me get rather close before he flew off. Of course, I didn't have the camera ready to catch him in flight.
If we had been focused, we could have paddled the lake in a half an hour as the perimeter is small. We were so focused on nature and just enjoying ourselves, that we spent an hour an half going around the lake. It was time well spent. When we were loading the kayaks on the truck, we had a conversation with a local who was very talkative. He gave us some recommendations for sights to see when we move further north past Bonners Ferry. We will take advantage of his recommendations.

We had an okay lunch in Bayview (food good; service very slow). I'd hate to see them if they were busy. We headed home and just hung out most of the afternoon. John took a short bike ride down South Road towards the other campgrounds. John said that our campground is more open and less alpine looking than the others. We are in the group campground and were happy to get a site. Personally, I like this campground (Kestrel) and would come back here again. While John was out riding, I received a phone call from Melissa which is always a treat. We were still talking when he returned so he was able to speak with her also.

The evening was spent watching hummingbirds. Pretty cheap entertainment and it makes us happy. Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment