Thursday, February 10, 2011

Beading and Indoor Sky Diving

The day started off with me taking a beading class here at Justin's RV Park.  Now, I readily admit that I somehow missed the female gene for being artsy/crafty as well as shopping (John at times is most thankful of this fact) but I still am curious about trying my hand at it so I gave it a go.  Cheryl joined me in the class and was on her second pair of earrings before I even got my beads picked out lol.  I was sort of like a deer in the headlights with all the choices to be made.  Soon I got in the groove and was able to make two pair of earrings in the time scheduled.  Here's proof of my accomplishments:
Bruce had another planned activity for our group of eight for the afternoon which required a drive up to Eloy.  The activity for the day was indoor sky diving.  Yep, you read it correct.  SkyVentures operates a wind tunnel where one can experience skydiving without the plane.  
Jenna and I decided to be the group's photographers while the others took the leap (ha, ha).  First the flyers received a little training on body position and hand signals and then got suited up for entry into the wind tunnel.
 
The wind tunnel was pretty darn impressive as it is operated with 4 - 400 hp motors that suck air up from the bottom.  Bruce had completed almost 300 jumps from a plane in his younger years and was eager to get at it so he went first.  Much to John's chagrin, he went second.  Relaxation and body position appeared to be a key in the success of staying afloat.  Bruce commented that when you jump out of a plane, you don't have walls or floors to be concerned with. John was the only one to suffer bodily injury . . . that is, he skinned up an elbow when he lost air for a moment. 
After the group was done, the instructors did a bit of showing off in the wind tunnel.  Wow, is all I can say.  When it was all said and done, John wasn't so keen on doing it again.  However, he has since changed his tune.   I guess we will have to wait and see what next year brings.